William Riley, got his baking degree at Berea College in 1922. In 1943, during the height of the sugar rationing in World War II, he and his wife, Katherine, were operating a bakery in Corbin. They could not purchase enough sugar to meet the demands of his customers, and he heard of a bakery, which had a larger ration of sugar, for sale in Bowling Green. He came to Bowling Green, purchased the bakery and ran both stores until 1945.
At that time, his entire family moved to Bowling Green and the bakery was located on Main Street below Spot Cash Store. In 1949, it was moved to the square on State Street. His son Dan, his wife Sandy and their two children moved back to Bowling Green in 1968, at which time they built and moved to the current location on the bypass.